The International Soccer Summit – formerly known as the Newark International Classic – is being hosted by St. Benedict’s Prep for the 16th time, but first since 2008. This year’s Summit, being held at New Jersey Institute of Technology’s Lubetkin Field – is turning into one of the most exciting ever. Click here for the details
It has picked up a title sponsor in Capelli Sport and has received a robust promotional backing of The Star-Ledger.
The tournament itself has already drawn one of the strongest fields ever. St. Benedict’s, which has claimed the National Championship eight times, including successive national crowns in 2011 & ’12, will be joined by world-renowned Under-18 international teams from Italy, Israel, Colombia, and two sides from England.
Italy is sending its team from Inter Milan FC, while England is represented by powerhouses Liverpool and Queens Park Rangers. FUDDERCOL is coming stateside from Colombia and Israel is bringing its well-known Maccabi Haifa FC to Newark. St. Benedict’s, Players Development Academy of Zarephath (NJ) and FC Greater Boston Bolts (MA) are the U.S. delegates that round out the field for this year’s Soccer Summit.
The Summit will begin with an official banquet on August 26th before games get underway with Group play on Tuesday, Aug. 27-28. A Youth Clinic will be held on Aug. 29th for players from ages 6-through-15, preceding the final round of Group games in Aug. 30th. The Summit will wrap up on Saturday, Aug. 31st with three consolations games before the championship match is held.
· When: August 25– September 1, 2013
· Where: St. Benedict’s Prep, Newark, New Jersey, USA
· Arrival & Departure: Arrival is Sunday August 25th at Newark Liberty Airport, Newark, New Jersey. Departure is Sunday, September 1st. We will provide ground transportation to St. Benedict’s Prep and back to Newark Liberty Airport.
· Accommodations: Players and coaches will stay at local hotels in Newark area, ten minutes from stadiums and hosts at St. Benedict’s Prep.
· Invited Participants: St. Benedict’s Prep (Newark, New Jersey – Host). Seven other teams from: Liverpool FC, Queens Park Rangers, Inter Milan, Maccabi Hafai (Israel), FUDDERCOL (Colombia), Players Development Academy (USA), & FC Greater Boston Bolts
· Tournament to Provide: Tournament Banquet, tournament tee-shirt, guaranteed 4 games, hotel rooms, meals.
· Fields: New Jersey Institute of Technology; lighted 2,000 seat stadium with Field Turf (synthetic grass). Players Development Academy, Top Soccer Facility in Northeast USA with lighted, Field Turf and Natural Grass Surfaces. St. Benedict’s Prep – Field Turf Stadium to be used for training and tournament clinic.
· Referees: 3 man system
· Medical: medical trainers present
· Travelling Party: 18 players/7 coaches in travelling party for a total of 25 for foreign teams.
· Age Group: U-18 / Born after 8/1/95
· Recent Tournament Sponsors: MBNA America Bank, adidas, Major League Soccer, Red Bull NY, PSE&G, Prudential Insurance, Wachovia Bank, Blue Cross – Blue Shield, Verizon, Toys R Us, Star Ledger (state newspaper of New Jersey)
· Affiliated: with United States Youth Soccer Association
· Clinic: Youth Clinic ages 8 – 14 (coaches and teams to participate) to be held at St. Benedict’s Prep
· A Shared Vision: of youth soccer in the United States in partnering with The Player Development Academy on this project.
· Retail Print Advertising: in the state newspaper (Star Ledger) of New Jersey will total $100,000 for tournament marketing campaign.
· Sightseeing: trips and activities will be provided to local attractions including New York City.
· Former Participants Include: Chelsea FC, AC Milan, Fiorentina, Glasgow Celtic, FC Porto, Atlas FC, Cobreoloa (Chile), Tahuichi (Bolivia), USA ODP Regional U18’s, and the Mexican Youth National U18’s.